If you’re planning to buy or sell a business, you’ve likely thought about whether to hire a professional business broker. This could be one of the biggest transactions you ever make, so it’s important that you leave nothing to chance. A business broker will be there at every step of the transfer process, protecting you from costly mistakes and ensuring you get maximum value from your investment.
Despite the advantages of hiring a business broker, many business sales still occur without one or more parties retaining brokerage services. That can lead to serious problems. So, if you’re on the fence about whether or not to hire a broker, it’s a good idea to take a closer look at the advantages offered by a professional business broker.
7 Advantages to Using a Professional Business Broker
1. Save Time. Buying or selling a business is a complicated process. If you don’t have extensive experience in the world of business sales, each step of this process can take an extraordinary amount of time. A professional business broker gives you the experience you need to shrink the timeline of your sale/purchase. He or she will also do much of the heavy lifting on your behalf. This could save you literally hundreds of hours compared to a DIY approach.
2. More Opportunities. With the right broker, you can reach a much wider pool of buyers or sellers. Take your local Murphy Business Broker. Each of our brokers is tapped into his or her own local market, providing you with an inside track on business sale opportunities within your metro area. At the same time, our brokers have access to national and global business sales networks. This gives you access to a near-unlimited pool of buyers and sellers.
3. Qualifying Expertise. Many of the biggest mistakes made in business transfers happen at the qualification phase. Mistakes at this phase can result in pursuing bad prospects, leading to untold amounts of wasted time and money. In the worst cases, a deal can fall apart in the finalizing stages, after you’ve already taken steps to assume or relinquish ownership of the business. By hiring a professional business broker, you can ensure this process is properly handled, protecting your interests.
4. Business Valuations. Another common problem in business transfers is the improper valuation of a business. If you’re buying a business that is priced over its value, you could end up with an abysmal return on your investment. The same applies if you’re selling a business that is undervalued. Many professional business brokers — including your local Murphy Business Broker — can connect you with an accredited valuation expert, ensuring you get fair market value for your investment.
5. Assistance with Financing. If you’re planning to purchase a business, there’s a good chance that you will need financing. This is yet another area where a professional business broker can provide guidance and assistance. At Murphy Business, we connect purchasers with banking contacts and provide detailed advice about how to pursue financing.
6. Confidentiality. Every year, an untold number of sales implode due to lack of discretion. If word gets out that a business is for sale, that business could run into serious problems. Workforce morale could plummet, employees could jump ship, and customers could start to shop elsewhere. When you’re selling a business, a professional business broker can protect your identity and that of your business. This way, you can avoid unwanted disruptions until the sale is finalized.
7. Paperwork & Legalities. When you are purchasing or selling a business, minor oversights can have major consequences. It is therefore critical that any documentation is handled correctly, and that you are guided by experts who understand the legalities of the sales process. A professional business broker will ensure that you are covered in both of these areas.
Looking to hire a professional business broker for help buying or selling a business? Call (727) 725-7090 today to connect with your local Murphy Business Broker and get started!